Teen Treks’ Bike Touring Education Series is our way of keeping an active and connective bicycle touring community and introduce young cyclists into the world of touring!
We’re gathering bike touring experts, past leaders, past trekkers and other inspiring bike travelers into brief, interactive live events to learn more about gear, packing, touring logistics, experiences and the adventures found in bike traveling.
On this page, you can find links to join upcoming Zoom events and check out past webinars in the series. We look forward to having you join the conversation!
- April 26, 2022 @ 7PM EST- Trip Feature: New York- Montreal
- Join on Zoom
Bike and swim your way from New York City to Montreal on this popular 16-
- May 10, 2022 @ 7PM EST- Food & Packing
- Join on Zoom
PACKING: As trekkers prepare for their summer bike trips with Teen Treks and gather gear to support their adventure, we want to provide guidance on how to pack light and efficiently to ensure a well-equipped and comfortable trip. Packing light is important for trekkers to not feel weighed down on their bicycle. We will go over the Teen Treks packing guide, discuss essential and non-essential items, display how to pack panniers, and provide suggestions on gear purchases that will make trekker’s trips more comfortable.
FOOD: We will display the Teen Treks’ group pot set and talk about how groups shop, prepare and cook on bike trips. Staying hydrated and eating nutritiously is important while bike traveling in the summer sun, so we’ll look into ways groups stay healthy on trips. But not all meals are prepared by Teen Treks groups, we do love to find local cuisine and especially ice cream while traveling to new cities! A Q&A session will follow, so please bring any questions you may have about food, nutrition, packing and gear purchases.
- May 24, 2022 @ 7PM EST- Trip Feature: New England Shore Trek
- Join on Zoom
Bike from New York City to Boston along the Long Island Sound and the Atlantic coastline on this 16-
- June 7, 2022 @ 7PM EST- Traveling with a Bicycle
- Join on Zoom
Is it better to mail or fly with your bike? Which airlines and bus lines have the most affordable options for traveling with a bicycle? What is the best container to use to transport your bicycle in? Suggestions on how to protect your bicycle while in transit- All this will be discussed during this info session on traveling with a bicycle for a Teen Treks trips. If you have questions about your specific trip and how transportation of bicycle to and from the trip will work, join us for an informative session on traveling with a bike!
- Trip Feature: Cape Cod Trek Our Cape Cod biking adventure takes trekkers out of Boston on a ferry to Provincetown, where they bike down Cape Cod, ferry over to Martha’s Vineyard, and return back to Boston by way of Plymouth Rock. This short and sweet 10-day trip is popular every summer as it presents many ideal summer activities like enjoying beach fun, island camping, visiting touristy coastal towns and plenty of stops for ice cream along the route. Find out more during our Cape Cod Trip Feature.
- Storytime- Find out how a Teen Treks trip changed the life and inspired a career for former Across America trekker.
- Trip Feature: Amsterdam- Paris Trek– If you’ve never been to Europe, this 16-
day trip will give you an amazing introduction. If you’re an old hand at international travel, it’s a rich, exciting tour of great sites in three bike- friendly countries including the Netherlands, Belgium and France.
- Trip Feature: California Coast Trek
- Trip Feature: Long Distance Treks- 1,000 Mile and Across America
- Trip Feature: New England Shore Trek
- Trip Feature: Maine Coast Trek
- Trekker Takeaways- Hear all about a Teen Treks bike tour from the lens of a former trekker! These trips are all about trekkers having an incredible adventure, so in this Q&A we’ll be asking a past trekker all about their experience- the challenges they faced, skills gained, unexpected surprises, friendships formed, memories that have remained.
- Daily Life of a Teen Treks’ Bike Trip Leader w/ Ben Ingalls – 2019 Trip Leader, Ben Ingalls shares his experience leading Maine Coast and NY-Montreal trek, offering insight into the day-to-day life of a Teen Treks’ Bike Trip Leader. If you’re interested in leading for Teen Treks, this conversation will provide a sneak-peek into the daily life of a Trip Leader!
- Up Close w/ Bicycle Touring Pro –In a Q&A w/ the Bicycle Touring Pro, Darren Alff, we ask Darren all about his favorite bicycle travel locations, top experiences while traveling and favorite gear on the road. Tune in to hear from YouTube extraordinaire, the Bicycle Touring Pro.
- ‘A Day in the Life’ of Bike Touring w/ Katie Hennessey- Katie talks about the day-to-day life on a Teen Treks bike tour: Miles biked per day, food and cooking logistics, sleeping accommodations, and more!
- Bike Touring Gear w/ Tyler Madell – Tyler talks about recommended bikes for touring, essential equipment needed for a tour, and how to pack panniers efficiently.